Our Ancestors Are:
Jacob Jacobszoon and Heiltje Willems who married in Naaldwijk on July 15, 1607. Two of their children were baptised in Naaldwijk (Jacob on February 8, 1609 and Maria on August 1, 1610); the Vreugdenhil family descends from their third child, Arij.
The tree leading to me is:
- Arij Jacobszoon (van) Vreugdenhil, workman, born in Naaldwijk in 1612, deceased after 1673, married Jannetje Pieters.
- Jacob Ariensz. (van) Vreugdenhil (son of 1), workman, married in Naaldwijk on June 30, 1669 with Geertge Jochums van Outshoorn, daughter of Jochum Gerritsz. van Outs-hoorn and Maartje Mesen.
- Jocum Jacobsz. (van) Vreugdenhil, (son of 2); lock-keeper at the outer lock in Delfland (Oranje Gors); member of the Protestant Church in 's-Gravenzande in 1727; baptised (Protestant) in Naaldwijk on July 12, 1671; deceased in Oranjepolder (Naaldwijk) on September 5, 1735; married:
- for the first time in Naaldwijk on May 5, 1697 with Geertje Lucas Verkoorn; baptised (Protestant) in Naaldwijk on January 28, 1674; deceased and buried in Naaldwijk in 1721; daughter of Lucas Ijsbrandsz. Verkoorn and Lysbeth Gerrits van der Valck;
- for the second time in Naaldwijk on January 6, 1726 with Pietertje Pouwel van der Eijk; widow of Klaes van der Hans;
- Cornelis Jochumsz. Vreugdenhil (son of 3 from his first marriage); nickname Kees de Kraeij (the Crow) probably because he has been involved with theft of salmon from fish-traps; baptised (Protestant) in Naaldwijk on October 10, 1704; lived in Oranjepolder (Naaldwijk); buried in 's-Gravenzande on December 27, 1783; married:
- for the first time in 's-Gravenzande on October 2, 1729 with Elsje Thomas van Beijen; baptised (Protestant) in 'svGravenzande on July 31, 1707; lived in Oranjepolder (Naaldwijk); daughter of Thomas Jansz. van Beijen and Maartje Cornelisse van der Koy;
- for the second time in 's-Gravenzande on April 26, 1734 with Annetje Cornelis van der Hoeven; baptised (Protestant) in Naaldwijk on April 3, 1712; daughter of Cornelis van der Hoeven.
- Cornelis Cornelisz. Vreugdenhil, (son of 4 from his second marriage) workman, baptised (Protestant) in 's-Gravenzande on June 19 1740; deceased in Maasland on May 17, 1820; married in Maasland (Groote Kerk) on November 9, 1764 with Leena Aryse Saarloos; baptised (Protestant) in Goudswaard on February 13, 1743; lived in Naaldwijk; deceased in Maasland on May 11, 1820; daughter of Ary Saarloos and Pieternella van den Boogert.
- Cornelis Cornelisz. Vreugdenhil (son of 5); agricultural labourer; baptised in Naaldwijk on November 5, 1769; member of the Protestant Church in 's-Gravenzande on March 28, 1792; deceased in Maasland on May 6, 1833; gived notice of his marriage in 'svGravenzande on October 17, 1794 with Machtelt Maartens Mostert; born in Oranjepolder (Naaldwijk); baptised (Protestant) in 's-Gravenzande on February 4, 1770; member of the Protestant Church in 's-Gravenzande on April 3, 1787; deceased in Maasland on December 12, 1831; daughter of Maarten Thijsz. Mostert and Aaltje Jans Swaenswijk.
- Jan Cornelisz. Vreugdenhil (son of 6); agricultural labourer and pub-keeper; born in Maasland on August 28, 1806; baptised (Protestant) there on September 7, 1806; deceased in Maasland on May 9, 1871; married in Maasland on July 5, 1828 with Stijntje Duifhuis; born in Maasland on December 26, 1802; baptised (Protestant) there on January 2, 1803; deceased in Schipluiden on August 31, 1876; daughter of Jacob Duifhuis and Cornelia Blom.
- Jan Vreugdenhil (son of 7); agricultural labourer; born in Maasland on October 5, 1839; deceased there on February 26, 1903; married:
- for the first time in Maasland on August 16, 1861 with Magteldje Sluijter; born in Maasland (Broekmolen) on March 18, 1837; deceased there on February 16, 1863; daughter of Abraham Sluijter and Heinderijntje Bos;
- for the second time in Maasland on November 19, 1869 with Jaapje van der Mark; born in Maasland (Foppenpolder) on October 27, 1851; deceased there on September 13, 1936; daughter of Jacob van der Mark and Jaapje Bos.
- Jan Vreugdenhil (son of 8, see picture above); milk-seller; born in Maasland on May 8, 1859 as Jan Sluijter, recognized on August 16, 1861 by father Jan Vreugdenhil; deceased on March 21, 1922 in Platte, South Dakota; married in Rotterdam with Bastiaantje Heijkoop; born in Krimpen aan den IJssel on November 4, 1864; daughter of Harmen Heijkoop and Maria van der Ham; deceased on June 4, 1944 in New Holland, South Dakota. He and his family settled in the United States of America in about 1903.
- Harmen Vreugdenhil (son of 9, see picture above); born in Rotterdam on March 18, 1896; married Eunice Bennett.
- Marion John Vreugdenhil (son of 10); born in South Africa on December 21, 1935; married Vergie Helm.
- Paul Kevin Vreugdenhil (me); born in the Philippines on November 29, 1961; married Jackie Drake.
John (Jan) and Bertha (Bastiaantje Heijkoop)
Harmen Vreugdenhil in WWI uniform
Harmen Vreugdenhil WWI draft card
Eunice (Bennett) and Harmen Vreugdenhil
Harmen and Eunice marriage license
1936 Ship Passenger List showing John Vreugdenhil
Two brothers settled in the United States of America in the early 1900's, the above mentioned Jan and his younger brother Jacob. The complete data, as far as we have now, are:
(If you can add to this data please contact me)
Jan Vreugdenhil (son of 8); milk-seller; born in Maasland on May 8, 1859 as Jan Sluijter, recognized on August 16, 1861 by father Jan (John) Vreugdenhil; deceased on March 21, 1922; married in Rotterdam with Bastiaantje (Bertha) Heijkoop; born in Krimpen aan den IJssel on November 4, 1864; daughter of Harmen Heijkoop and Maria van der Ham; deceased on June 4, 1944.
The family left Rotterdam, Holland on February 20th, 1904 and arrived in New York on March 2nd, 1904. Children:
James, Mattie, John, Harmen, Marie
- Jan (John); born in Rotterdam on September 7, 1890; deceased ~1918 (flu epidemic).
- Maria; born in Rotterdam on September 7, 1891; deceased January 8,1976; married with Art Bergakker.
- Adrianus; born in Rotterdam on November 26, 1892.
- Magteltje; born in Rotterdam on January 16, 1894; deceased there on May 26, 1894.
- Harmen; born in Rotterdam on February 28, 1895; deceased there on December 2, 1895.
- Harmen (Harmon); born in Rotterdam on March 18, 1896; married with Eunice Bennett. Deceased on December 18, 1976. From this marriage were born:
- Marion John; born December 21, 1935. - MY DAD
- Ralph Lyle; born in 1940.
- Dorothy; born in 1941.
- David Paul; born in 1942.
- Magteltje (Mattie); born in Rotterdam on February 15, 1897; deceased November 2, 1945; married with Jaret Van GenDeren.
- Adrianus (James); born in Rotterdam on January 31, 1898; deceased June 4, 1974; married with Ann.
- Gerrit; born in Rotterdam on December 14, 1900; deceased there on December 21, 1900.
- Dead-born son; born in Rotterdam on December 14, 1900; twin with 9.
- Gerrit; born in Rotterdam on April 3, 1902; deceased November 19, 1974; married Nellie Bok. From this marriage were born:
- John Dale; born on December 3, 1930.
- William John; born on February 3, 1932.
- Vergil Robin; born on July 23, 1934.
- Arlow Leroy; born on April 4, 1936; deceased on June 21, 1937.
- Bertha Arlene (Groeneweg); born on February 24, 1939.
- Loretta Mae; born on May 15, 1945; deceased May 15, 1945.
- Garry Gene; born on October 11, 1947.
- Teunis; born in Rotterdam on April 3, 1902; twin with 11; deceased January 21, 1973; married on February 18, 1926 with Johanna Bultje; born on August 2, 1900; deceased February 16, 1996. From this marriage were born:
- Bennice; born on September 5, 1926; deceased on September 22, 1996.
- Edwin; born on August 3, 1929.
- Eunice; born on February 4, 1933.
- Larry; born on April 27, 1942.
- Stella; born on May 23, 1904; deceased August 10, 1988; married on February 12, 1925 with Henry Van Den Bos; born on March 22, 1900. From this marriage were born:
- Allen Howard; born on December 12, 1925; killed on April 27, 1945 in WWII on Luzon Island of the Phillipine Islands.
- Merle E.; born on June 7, 1927.
- Donald I.; born on May 29, 1929.
- Geertruida (Gertrude); born on September 21, 1906; deceased January 6, 1982; married on February 5, 1931 with William Tegethoff; born on May 27, 1903. From this marriage were born:
- Dennis Doyle; born on April l5, 1932.
- Eileen Neda; born on September 9, 1935.
- Vonda Lou; born on February 14, 1936.
- Rodney Jay; born on February 14, 1943.
- Vaneta Rae; born on February 13, 1941.
- Alice; born on July 7, 1908; deceased on October 12, 1999; married on February 8, 1927 with Clarence Bruinsma; born on September 9, 1902; deceased on January 13, 1969. From this marriage were born:
- Duane Alvin; born on August 17, 1927; deceased on July 21, 2000.
- Lois Mae; born on September 2, 1931.
John, James, Harmen
Alice, Gerrit, Stella, Teunis, Geertruida
1920 U.S. Census
Jacob Vreugdenhil (son of 8); shopkeeper/carman (?); born in Maasland on January 14, 1872; deceased on October 20, 1942; married in Maasland on April 19, 1895 with Pleuntje Moerman; born in Maasland on September 10, 1872; deceased on April 20, 1947; daughter of Jan Moerman and Willemijntje Voogt.
- Jaapje (Jessie, daughter); born in 's-Gravenhage (The Hague) on January 14, 1896; deceased on September 6, 1996; married in Harrison, SD on August 22, 1916 with Cornelius "Neal" Plooster; born in Harrison, SD on September 13, 1894; deceased on May 7, 1978. From this marriage were born:
- Jacob Cornelius; born on January 12, 1918.
- Evelynn Lucile; born on March 1, 1920.
- Harold John; born on February 23, 1927.
- Betty Pauline (provided some of this information); born on March 7, 1930.
- Dorothy Jean; born on November 24, 1931.
- Jan; born in Rotterdam on March 18, 1897.
- Johannes; born in Rotterdam on May 20, 1901; deceased there on June 3, 1901.
- Wilhelmina; born in 1903.
- Jan Earl (Johnnie Clarence); born in 1905; married Grace Westerling. From this marriage were born - as far as we know -:
- Pauline; born in 1927.
- Cornelia Mea; born in 1928.
- Irene Joann; born in 1932.
- Jimmy Clarence; born in 1935.
- Jacoba Cornelia; born in 1910.
- Jenny; born in 1912.
Cornelius & Jessie, 1915
Thanks to Tom Vreugdenhil for the majority of this information